When we peer into a glass of drinking water, we are looking at a drop of human history—the water we consume today has been around in one form or another for thousands of years, continually recycled through the atmosphere and back into our glasses.
But today, ‘drinking water’ and ‘consuming clean and safe’ water are two different realities. In continuation to which, the major target to numerous acute water borne diseases are our children who lose a major part of their childhood in struggling to retain a good health. Furthermore, this leads to absenteeism from schools and loss of their studies.
Addressing to the above situation, under the guidelines of UNICEF, a program known as WASH (Water, Sanitation and Hygiene) in School (WINS) has been initiated by The Transformers Value Creators in association with Rotary Club, Chandigarh and adopted 26 Government schools in and around Chandigarh Tricity where around 40,000 students and 8000 Teachers are being sensitized and educated with clean water consumption, improved sanitation and hygiene education that encourages the development of healthy behavior in students for life.
We are emphasizing on clean water consumption by making students understand the importance of clean drinking water and saving it from any adulteration.
Through this WASH initiative we are further explaining students ways through which they can contribute to save gallons of water daily and deal with the water scarcity.
* We can definitely turn off all the taps tightly after each usage whether in schools, home or public place.
* Taking responsibility to ensure repair and maintenance of leaking tapes or pipes is undertaken by their elders.
* Preventing any water cooler contamination or vandalism. Also washing our hands at interval times and preventing water pollution with dirty hands.
* Keeping water tanks clean, covered and checking them on regular basis.
* Rain water harvesting is one of the most effective and suitable techniques around areas suffering from clean water shortage. Harvesting rain water can be used for purposes like watering plant, washing clothes, in toilet flushes etc.
* Planting trees eventually helps our environment to produce more rainfall.
We are also sharing insight about the nationwide campaign, “Rally for Rivers” focusing on saving our depleting rivers by practicing methods through which we can ensure a safe future of our water bodies.
Thus, practicing sensitive & collaborative efforts towards conserving natural water to ensure its availability for future generations can only be fulfilled with involvement and engagement of children.